google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: RIP To The Alley of My Youth

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

RIP To The Alley of My Youth


I'm sure this looks like, well, an alley to you. Even a moderately attractive one. And you're correct on both points. 

It is also The-Shatterer-of-Memories. 

You see, this is the alley behind the house where I grew up. The brick building in the background? The church where I was married. I cannot count how many games of catch I played back here with my Dad, how many times I walked down the alley to and from church, how many times I used it as a shortcut on my bike. 

That entire time, from my early childhood in the late 70's almost up until present day, that alley was a rough, potholed filled obstacle course made of cement embedded with small stones  that would work loose and play further havoc with your tires. 

It looked very much like the  setting I used it for whenever I pretended to be a soldier: a recently shelled and bombed European road of WWII. 

And now? Now it's . . . pretty. Ish. 

Sigh. 

No comments: