google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Ok - here's the casualty report for day 1 of temp. solo parenting

Search This Blog

Friday, July 3, 2009

Ok - here's the casualty report for day 1 of temp. solo parenting

Now that you all have had plenty of time to go out and buy a copy, here's a link to my column.

** *** ***

Lisa just texted that she's "having fun at Rock Island". I have no idea where or what that is, but I'd imagine it involves a lot of booze and music. Meanwhile here in Milwaukee my responsiblities have been cut in half. While I was at work my mother-in-law picked up the baby for the night (a planned event, not related to this business) and when I dropped off my babysitter/sister Smiley weaseled his way into a sleepover.

So right now I have Lulu upstairs in my room "watching TV", but more likely passed out in front of it with her mouth open, and YaYa on the couch watching Ghostbusters II.

Today went ok. After I picked up Lu we all hit the playground for half an hour before lunch (which included a veggie).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This last pic is of Smiley, ever the camera hog, telling me to take a picture. He'll make some sound and then flick his thumb and forefinger together like he was taking a shot.

Photobucket

After th e playground I put the baby down for a nap, secured the others in front of the TV for 'rest time', and accidentally fell asleep on the couch. That was a tactical error, as I woke up to a house that was all but ransacked by the demons.

But all in all, a solid day. Hell, I even changed the kitty litter.

Here's the big plans for tomorrow: clean the basement, in the process finding some outfits for these kids to wear. Lisa usually has clothes magically ready and waiting each night before bed, whereas I get so confused with the sizes that the buzzing in my head literally starts to hurt. I'd also like to take my Dad to pick up his grill, retrieve Smiley, and visit with Ginger. I almost forgot - if the planetarium is up and running tommorow, I'd like to take Lulu and YaYa to see a show.

Oh, and bake a cake for the 4th of July.

But that's all :)

* * * *
I'm listening to Ghostbusters II and laughing out loud. update: I gave up and went and watched it with her. Ramis can, or at least could, write a hell of a script, and Bill Murray was just perfect. YaYa WIGGED out when the Titanic showed up, and said that now we have to buy the film for sure. She also said that I look like Dan Akroyd. "You look a lot alike. You have the same kinda face, and the same eyes, and the way your hair kind of poofs up like that. He should wear glasses tho'"

At least she didn't say I looked like Vigo.

BTW, I finally saw Caddyshack for the first time EVER last week. There were funny bits, but overall I thought it was only so-so. Sorry everyone.

8 comments:

jeanne said...

Love the pictures, and what a full day you had, you also went to work. Loved your column. Have a great weekend.

Beth said...

Holy moley, you'd never seen "Caddyshack"?! While I don't think it's held up as well as some of the other movies of that era, there are bits that are pure classics. The caddys doing water ballet, the candy bar in the pool, the gopher dancing, Bill Murray's character in general...love those bits! Now if you tell me you've never seen "Animal House," I will begin to doubt your citizenship. :)

Slapinions said...

The water ballet and the gopher . . . nah. I'll give you the Baby Ruth.

Joann said...

I think CaddyShack was good 'back in it's day', however NOW we have SO MUCH BETTER that it just doesn't seem funny anymore... 'course I haven't seen it in years, don't remember too much of it.

So, you're going to bake a 4th of July cake, huh?!?! WOW!! You're like SuperDad!! You're doing good, but I wouldn't fall asleep while on duty... that's just dangerous!!

Slapinions said...

I'm just doing the cake because its exactly what Lisa would do, that's all.

Ken Riches said...

Oh Dan, hard to believe your take on Caddyshack. Perhaps I will chalk it up to a non-golfer.

Glad you got another column, off to read it.

gryphondear said...

In my opinion, movies and Bill Murray and rodent(s) are overrated. Sure they have their moments, but you have to put up with Bill Murray.

Hope the cake comes out well. If not check out http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com which will give you a better perspective on cake baking.

P.S. Lisa is at the concert at the moment. She said she will call back when it's over.

Bridgett said...

::whispering::

I've never seen Caddyshack either.

No interest.

Sounds like your day went pretty well. Are you ready for your wife to be home yet? :)