google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Smells Like Nirvana

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Smells Like Nirvana


On Friday, July 28th, Tre and I went to see a Nirvana tribute band, Smells Like Nirvana, play at The Back Room theater the Collectivo Coffee on Prospect Ave. 

The "opening act" for the group was the group themselves, performing original songs under the band name Dead Original

I really enjoyed that set. I thought their songs had a great grunge vibe with just enough of a  modern influence to be relevant. It was good enough for me to buy their CD during the intermission. 








I was less impressed by the Nirvana set. The music was fine, but it was hopelessly interrupted by tech issues. The guitar kept falling out tune. The bassist's wireless transmitter failed, then something happened to the amp, and the bass. . . kudos to the band for improvising and filling the awkward delays, but man, what a mess. 


I think it would have been better too had they stuck to a firm set list instead of fulfilling audience requests. And "Rape Me," really? 
It's got a good hook, but even back in '93 I felt it was offensive song and a woefully ignorant lyric of Kurt's. To hear a crowd that included more than one group of young teens sing out "Rape Me" in 2023 . . . nah man.  Pass. 

But overall, it worked well. It's probably as close as I'll ever get to hearing Nirvana live, and I enjoyed it very much. 













No comments: