google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Tales of Time and Space

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Tales of Time and Space

In middle school my Dad briefly held a part-time job at a motel, a Holiday Inn I think. It might have been just to earn Christmas money, because I wouldn't remember it at all if it wasn't for an employee Breakfast with Santa.

Here's what I recall about that event: I was disappointed as heck in the food, which was cereal and milk - I was used to Federation's grand pancake version.  

Secondly, I loved my gift.   In retrospect, I have to think my Dad put in a suggestion for me, because what middle schooler goes gaga over a paperback of Tales of Time and Space, compiled by editor Ross Olney?

I loved that story collection. That book became a sentimental favorite for me, and one story, Of Missing Persons by Jack Finney shook my world. 

If I still have my copy, it's boxed somewhere and MIA, but it will always linger in my memory. 

No comments: