google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Redbox

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2024

Redbox

 



Redbox, my beloved, is going out of business as their parent company is in bankruptcy. 

Certainly streaming has hurt their bottom line (which peaked at  $1.97 billion in 2013) but so did the dearth of first-run movies during the Covid crisis. Just when you're stuck home with time to spare, there was no fresh material to go rent. 

I love Redbox, frequented it - sometimes going AT MIDNIGHT as Tuesday dawned, just to get my hands on a new release. 

It always struck a nostalgic cord with me too. I remember, when I was very young (young enough to still be collecting plastic football helmets from candy machines) that Sun Foods on 20th and Oklahoma had a vending machine, very much like an early Redbox, that dispensed video cassettes to rent. 

RIP Redbox. You were a blessing, and you will be missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment without signing in if you like, but please leave your name in the comment. Thanks for reading!