google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Irishman

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 6, 2020

The Irishman

I finished my sixth Best Picture nominee, "The Irishman," last night.

To my suprise, I really liked it. I was initially bored by the idea of yet another Scorsese mafia pic, but it grabbed hold of me and didn't let go. DeNiro was good, but Joe Pesci returned to the screen with an absolute vengence, and Pacino was, as always, excellent.
What can I say, a well told tale, especially one fleshed out by great acting, can do very little wrong in my world.
I didn't think the de-ageing CGI was all that impressive, but it was enough to do the trick (ish), and the complaints that women had little to nothing to do in the film are absolutely true and absolutely irrelevant. It's a story set exclusively in a male dominated criminal circle and that's who dominates the memories of the narrator. As for length, sorry folks not sorry - I was born with an attention span.
I can't believe I'm saying this, I really can't, BUT . . . I think this might be my personal pick for Best Picture.

No comments: