google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Lost Post Week 2

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Lost Post Week 2

Once again it took me six days to see the episode, so sorry for the late post.

Then again there's not much to discuss. It was a pretty straightforward episode, essentially an action-adventure story with a few revealing flashbacks.

My wife, who is slipping towards the 'enough with the mysteries' crowd, loved it and thought it was one of Lost's better offerings. On the other end of the mystery spectrum, I thought it was decent, but my attention lagged at times.

What we learned: that Jin (sp?) is far from the cold-blooded assasin we presumed him to be, and Sun is herself flawed. Aside from the fact she seems oddly oblivious to the burden her marriage has placed on her husband and is an adultress, she has a life-long pattern of letting others pay for her crimes/sins.

I'm glad she shot the woman on the boat (with provocation). Enough with the 'we are the good guys, you just don't understand' jazz.

You kidnap women and children. You drug folks against their will. You maintain a labor camp. You hanged Charlie. You abandoned the survivors to the wild when you had the ability to call for a rescue. You've imprisoned/threatened/mistreated the survivors.

Whoever you are, you ain't the good guys.

We also learned Ben's full (real?) name, saw a glimmer of the failed relationship between him and Juliet, and learned that they mean to turn Jack against the survivors.

I doubt it will work. He has the whole honor thing going for him, and in addition he a) has feelings for Kate - why I don't know and b) seems to have little to return to in the states.

Pretty lean show in terms of character development. I'm looking forward to tonights episode, although part of me was dissapointed to return to the Locke-Charlie-Echo world of the beach.

On a dimly related subject, nice to see the MLB footage and hear Joe Buck on the show, even if it was to show the hated Red Sox win their &%^* title.

In the current world I'm still hoping the Mets even it up and go on to win the NLCS. I maintain my position on the Cardinals: they are a boring, antiseptic team.

And look, I know my flaws. I know that in the heat of competition I demonize the opposition. That's why I'm trying hard not to say things like: Ron Belliard looks like the loathsome character of Eddie on That's So Raven, that DavidEckstein runs like he has a stick up his bum, that for being a 'genius' LaRussa sure seems inarticulate and creepy during the in-game interviews, or that Pujos is beloved in St. Louis because it's a town that worships steroid ridden first basemen.

But I didn't say any of that, did I?

All emotion aside, I find the Cardinals a dry and boring team, and not very good this year to boot. Baseball and its audience would be much better served by a Mets-Tigers Series, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh, and the A-Rod to the Cubs trade rumors? I hope they aren't true, as I'd hate to root against the guy. I don't think it'll happen tho' - ARod needs a title to overcome his mental block, and that isn't going to happen in Wrigley Field.

 

No comments: