google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Lost Season Opener

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Lost Season Opener

My favorite show is back!

Of course, it took me six days to see the recording of the show so this post is a little dated (sorry about that).

BTW, to all those idiots in the world who criticize the show for not revealing it's secrets and claim they'll never watch it again:

   a) the mystery is what keeps viewers coming back

   b) viewers are what keeps the show on TV

   c) ergo, the mysteries won't be completely answered until the finale (if then)

And I enjoy the mystery. Keep clouding the waters all you want, it only makes me think about and enjoy the show all the more.

* * *

I've given up on my idea that the cast is dead and in purgatory. Not because I was wrong - the show is still about good vs evil, redemption vs damnation - but because I think it was a concept that's been abandoned as viewers began to heavily circulate the theory.

Holding to this redemption theme, note that Sawyer, ahole of the Isle, was caged like an animal (did you notice that the Other said the cages used to hold bears? The Polar Bear from Season One anyone?), Kate was promised two weeks of misery, and only Jack - a flawed but good man - was treated with what looks like (but probably isn't) sincere kindness.

I don't interpret Ben (Henry Gale's) 'good job' to Juliet at the episode's end as sinister. Under her watch Jack let go of a troubling, selfish obsession and thought only of his ex-wife's happiness.

Redemption.

Of course they'll be some romance hinted at between Juliet and Jack. Let's just hope the actress avoids a DUI so the plot has time to develop.

I think Ben/Henry is a wonderfully evil? addition to the show and I believe the tension between him and Juliet is real and will factor in to at least our perception of events to come, perhaps as Juliet 'converts' to the Losties cause.

Sawyer's nice for comic relief but the googy-eyes between him and Kate were a little nauseating.

[side note: I don't think Kate looked good in that dress at all. She looked very thick and block-ish to my eyes. Keep in mind I didn't  TIVO it and rewind endlessly like some freaks out there, so it might be a wrong impression, but ewww]

[note my nice Tim Gunn like quote there. The Mrs. and I have become big fans of Project Runway, gobbling up Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD while waiting for this years winner. My vote rests (pre Fashion Week) with Michael Knight ]

Lots of talk out there about the significance of the novel the book club was reading (Carrie by Stephen King) and how Adam's objections to its content fly in the face of the supernatural edge we expected from the Others. Can't argue with that conclusion.

I think the web-based paranoia about how Juliet grabbed a Talking Heads cd but it miraculously played Petulia Clark's 'Downtown' (a goof, something significant?) are idiotic. Half my CD's are mixed up and in the wrong case. If you grab Metallica off my shelf you're just as likely to hear Garth Brooks as Enter Sandman. If this is anything more than a production goof I'll be surprised.

All right, I'm stuck working again this evening but I'll try to watch the show when I get home (and tonight's  Project Runway and Clean House) and post about it in the next few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure I will cont. to watch Lost it seems to be getting too complicating.  Perhaps I need help with the interrputations or I am getting lost also.  I just couldn't quite follow Jack and his thoughts about the past. Plus I think this girl who keeps coming to see him is just another trap.  I just want to know what the heck they want with just a few of the others. There were hints about the baby also, anyone have any thought on this?