google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Regrets, of a Sort

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Regrets, of a Sort

This week Friday is my wife's 30th birthday, next Monday is YaYa's 5th, and two days later my wife and I will celebrate our 10th anniversary.

In mid November the whole family - minus Parker - will be taking a 10 day Disney Cruise down to the Bahamas. That, technically, is to celebrate all of those events. And YaYa has the obligitory birthday shing-ding this weekend.

Even so, I feel like a failure.

I would have liked to have thrown a big bash for the annivesary, and a nice one for my wife's birthday as well. After all, on my 30th she threw a huge surprise party for me.

I pictured a church ceremony where we at least acknowledged our vows, and possibly renewed them. And then a dinner afterwards where we took everyone that shafted us on a wedding gift with the notion that it'd last six months and rub their nose in it.

It's also high time I upgraded my wife's ring. Funny how it looked magnificent when I was 22 and she was 20 - and tiny and cheap now.

Alas, we're broke.

Every last dime is going to make sure we have enough spending $ for the trip and the excursions. In addition, we're perilously close to purchasing a house. And there's tuition,  WI heating bills, Netflix, the gym membership,etc etc to pay out of every check.

But here's my vow: sometime next year, probably on the heels of our tax return, I'm going to do it.

It might not be full scale; we might just have 30 folks share a dinner with us one night. And maybe we'll just have the priest mention us at mass.

But we will have a public celebration of ten (mainly) wonderful years together, and we will do something for her [belated] birthday too.

We might even work on that ring. . . .

I put this on the site a) as a reminder and b) so that there's some social pressure to live up to my promises.

Maybe you'll even get an invitation :)

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved 30, but some women really DON'T.  Maybe she would hate a big  YIPEE YOU ARE 30 THANG.  Forget it.

~Mary of FrankandMary