google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Project Runway Season 3 Finale

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Project Runway Season 3 Finale

How's this for odd: when it came down to the final choice, I was rooting for Jeffrey.

Not because I liked his clothing. On the contrary it seemed to me to be more of the avant-garde, unwearable art pieces that you see made fun of in satires of the industry. The exception was his fourth piece, apant outfit that I thought was very hot and attractive.

No, it was because of his remaining opponent, Uli.

I think Uli won the Fashion Week runway, no doubt about it. Her pieces were attractive, showed range, and except for the jarring transition to color late in the show, coherent.

But I also think she was a waste of space on the show, a one-note Nellie who snuck into the finale only because her final runway challenge dress was undoubtably the best of the bunch. She had to be chosen the winner that week, and by default be included in Olympus Fashion Week.

I could almost hear the judges regret when they put her through; hence the four person finale.

But on the big day  she rocked, and Michael (my favorite and America's) fell off the pace with an over the top, very provacative line. Laura, who my wife felt deserved to win, I felt played it too safe (again!) and was just plain bland.

So it was down to Uli and Jeffrey.

The judges - wisely - seemed to go with the person (of the two) who'd been the most consistent the whole season.

And so the a*hole won.

I'm still not 100% convinced he didn't outsource some of his work. He sure seemed a little shady about the whole thing, and reacted out of character when the accusation was put out there.

[I wonder: if he did cheat, is it possible the designer kicked out for cheating earlier was framed, as he suggested? Possibly by someone who wanted a talented designer out of the way, someone like Jeffrey?]

Still, to paraphrase Laura, I'm glad the battle was fought on the runway, not in the accountants office.

Overall, the weakest season of the three, talent wise. Even so I think you'll see Michael and Laura again, Uli will find her niche, and Jeffrey will be a 'coulda been' in the industry.

Time will tell.

No comments: