google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: WTF???!!!

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 22, 2006

WTF???!!!

Ok, now I'm pis**ed.

I jump onto Slapinions tonight to do a post, and the hit counter reads '7'

Seven.

Last year I was up to more than 30,000 and the hit counter went to zero.

Then it goes back up to ~5,000.

And down to zero.

Today it was up to 1340-ish and again . . .

Ugh.

Look, a hit counter is nothing but a visual expression of an ego trip. I realize that. But it means something to me, and more to the point the continued problem means AOL is doing jack to fix the problem.

I know you can reset your own hit counter, but I shouldn't have to do it.

I'm not going to make any rash comments about leaving AOL, even though I have slapinions.com ready to go whenever I want . . but I like AOL, and I like this journal, and I can even tolerate the gawd-awful term "J-Land".

But WTF.

Ugh.

Update: Well, hot dog! I just added a site meter counter in the 'about me' section per one of the comments on this post.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos on being all the way up to 12 visitors - you were at 7 when you wrote last entry. Whatsa matter, is there something wrong with your hit counter? Have you thought about using one of those third-party counters, since AOL is not rushing to fix?

Thanks for making me laugh, and I'll put slapinions.com on my blog list, that I just started. I'm searching for interesting places to recommend.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the comment on my blog, and for the reminder (sorry for the hunting and pecking) to plop down my site address when I make comments! I do remember the banner controversy. I did understand the complaints - nobody wants to advertise when paying for a service. I'm just so glad it's passed, with free content making it irrelevant.

Anyway, have a great night! And see you around. :)

Anonymous said...

I got rid of my counter when the write/lock errors starting kicking in, and it would reset itself practically daily.  There are ways to fix it through the editing of your odometer file:

http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/622

But, I'd recommend using a non-aol counter.  For example, http://www.statcounter.com has a pretty reliable set-up, and it does a heck of a lot more than just keep track of hits.

Hope that helps.

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Heya,

Our (as in AOL's) stat counter has unfortunately had issues before, as noted in Joe's Magic Smoke blog that Dan linked to below. Personally, I use a sitemeter counter on my page (www.sitemeter.com), which, while not the same as the numbers I see on internal logs, is at least somewhat more "reliable."

We do intend to look into fixing our counter, or making it easier for you to imbed other sites' counters in the future - and I'll definately check to see if something specific happened to your blog over the weekend.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

I get huge volume on my blog & sometimes hundreds of emails about posts. I don't care about the counter. Should I?
~Mary of FrankandMary

Anonymous said...

Definitely time to go with a non-AOL counter <g>. There are a bunch of them.... I haven't bothered cause I finally decided I just didn't care.... It goes up, it resets itself, it's a pain<LOL>
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

It really pissed me off when my counter went kapoot. I was at 30,000 too and then...nothing....three years down the drain. I eliminated the counter then.