google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Heath Ledger, Fred Thompson, and Courtney Love (but not in that order)

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Heath Ledger, Fred Thompson, and Courtney Love (but not in that order)

It's hard to imagine just how shocked I was when a "News at 10" promo came on and casually announced the death of actor Heath Ledger.

I wouldn't describe myself as a 'fan' - I don't think I can say that about any current actor, except perhaps Tom Hanks - but I respected Ledger and his work.

He was charming in '10 Things I Hate About You', cheerfully anachronistic in "Knights Tale" and his performance in 'Brokeback Mountain' was as near to a complete transformation as an actor will ever accomplish.

When you saw his name attached to a movie you walked in with high expectations, and his death, by whatever means it came,was a waste of true talent and ability.

He will be missed

* * * *

Ledger's death took a lot of the wind out of my sails. Earlier in the day I was irate about an article about Courtney Love that I saw online - angry enough to bend my wife's ear while she was on break at work.

She patiently told me I was getting worked up over nothing, that Love had every right to do what she did, and that I should give her the benefit of the doubt.

Translation: Kurt Cobain is long dead, get over it, and please don't call me at work to rant about his widow.

She has a point.

Then again, so do I. Love has announced the go-ahead of a feature film of Kurt Cobain's life, based on Charles R. Cross' bio Heavier than Heaven.

I'm not a big fan of the book and frankly, [full disclosure] couldn't read it cover to cover. To me it just seemed to be a book-length gossip rag supported by, and perhaps catering to, Courtney's version of events. There's a lot of items that come out of left field that are unsubstantiated and seem designed to sell copies.

And of course, the book ends with an infamous narrative of Kurt's last moments that openly incorporates fiction and guesswork - 'New journalism' perhaps, but piss poor history.

[Here's a few comprehensive objections to the book. I agree with some and find others as odd as some sections of the book.]

So I'm naturally leery of any feature film based on the book, especially when Love's people call the movie "an accurate, credible glimpse of her life with Kurt" and a "labor of love".

Credible, huh? Then why ask Scarlett Johansson to play you in the film?

Courtney was always hot in that bad girl/crack addict kind of way, but for Johansonn to pull it off she'll have to do more work than Charlize Theron did for Monster. 

All grumbling aside, I'll see the movie. How could I not?

* * * *

By the way, here's a pic of Kurt's daughter Frances Bean, who was about a year and a half when he died. Man, we're all getting old.

* * *

In politics, Fred Thompson gave up the ghost (oh, poor choice of words given the rest of this post) and dropped out of the race. So much for my friends theory that he was simply laying low until voter fatigue set in for the other candidates.

I watched some of the Democratic debate last night. They'd best be careful. You have to fight tooth and nail in the primaries, but if you rip the competition too effectively you eliminate any reasonable chance of being a plausible VP, and perhaps more importantly on a grand scale, how can anyone buy your future support for the nominee in the general election?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was in shock by Heath Ledger death, and I hope that the sleeping pills that were taken wasn't the cause.

Also, as far as Fred Thompson goes, I feel he was a joke, he wasn't anything like President Reagon, just a joke...

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I was saddened at the news of Heath's death. I always thought he was a great actor. As you mentioned if you went to see a film he was in you knew you would be getting your money's worth. He was so young, a mere 28 too.....

Frances luckily has her father's eyes and looks. You have to feel for the kid having Courtney for a mother, can't be easy...(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I was very sad to hear on our news that Heath Ledger had been found dead.  I very much enjoyed his performance in Brokeback Mountain.  Such a waste of a great talent, such a waste of a life at such a young age.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I know it just shocked me & wind right out of me too when I heard. Such a waste! I don't get it! He would have been such a classic actor later in life!