google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: J-Land Photo Shoot #126

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

J-Land Photo Shoot #126

On a lark I decided to jump in and participate in the weekly photo shoot over at Sometimes I Think.

This weeks' subject: Black and White.

I had originally intended to contrast the beauty of our recent snowfalls with the dirt, grime, and salt that quickly turns the side of the road into a dark slushy mess.

But in reality that's more brown than black, so no-go.

As it turns out I think I like this shot better, although I admit it's nothing fancy. 

Speaking of snow, we followed that wonderful -7 (F) weather with a good six to seven inch snowstorm the next day. It was a pretty odd brand of snow, very loose and almost artificial. I remember thinking as I shoveled out our parking slab that it seemed to be composed of thousands of tiny individual balls - like a Willy Wonka-ish blizzard of Dippin' Dots.

                        

Of course, gimmicky or not, it didn't make digging out any more fun that it's been for the other three feet of snow we've had this winter. And as always I wonder- my ancestors leave central Europe, travel halfway around the world . . and stop here. Why???

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so bizarre that you mention it looked artificial to you....I thought the EXACT same thing when I shoveled the front! Although, mine was freshly fallen and looked more like the run of the mill bag 'o snow you can buy....sparkly, light, and oh so fluffy. I don't recall a more fluffy snow. Maybe it's what they call "lake affect" snow now that we are closer to the lake? Hmmmmm...... Oh and I really dig the black and white photo you took. Love ya tons, Mrs. Slapinions xoxo

Anonymous said...

WHAT A WONDERFUL PIC...GREAT JOB...HERES MINE IF U WANT TO SEE

Anonymous said...

Yipes...for shame you may be Thinking Too Much! HA!  ;-)

http://journals.aol.com/psychfun/MeThinksTooMuch/

Anonymous said...

Here is mine...

http://journals.aol.com/psychfun/MeThinksTooMuch/entries/2008/01/24/jland-photo-shoot/948

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by.  I'm just stopping by to take a peek.

Thanks for the adding to the list of ways to quitting smoking.  Thats a real good idea to do it while on vacation.  Although driving with a hyper 3 year old in the car might make me want to smoke even more, lol.  

I just wanted to say hello and not be one of your lurkers, lol.  I'm off to read up on the photo shoot thing.  I looove to take pictures.

Take care,
Jill Marie

Anonymous said...

Looking at that snow is making me shiver a bit here.  I think you made a good choice for the photo shoot.

Monica

Anonymous said...

 Yup, lots of that snow stuff here also, want some more?  Love the shot.


                   Julie

Anonymous said...

loved the picture of the snow; reminded me of our winters in Montana

betty

Anonymous said...

Love the photo. It almost looks like one of those black and white shots that have color added back in for effect. It's cool :-)
Martha ~

Anonymous said...

I think this one would be better than the one you were going to use.  We don't get snow here until a couple weekends ago which is also in my journal.
http://journals.aol.com/heavenlybama/my-photo-lounge/entries/2008/01/23/j-land-photo-shoot-126-with-krissy/1815

Anonymous said...

great shot for the photo shoot! -Missy http://journals.aol.com/ma24179/MISSYZSTUFF

Anonymous said...

I love this pic!!  I like snow!!  LOL!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

I like your photo a lot!  I love photos of snow!  Thanks so much for participating in the JLand Photo Shoot.

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

good job on this photo challenge.  i love looking at snow....really glad i don't have to deal with it...and those negative temps, too!!!!  :)
gina from n alabama