google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: How to Use Twitter to outwit Tehran

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2009

How to Use Twitter to outwit Tehran

For many of you this is old news, and I know Beth over at Nutwood went ahead and did this several days ago. But to quote from another blog:

If you use Twitter, set your location to Tehran & your time zone to GMT +3.30. Iranian security forces are hunting for bloggers using location/timezone searches. The more people at this location, the more of a logjam it creates for forces trying to shut down Iranians' access to the internet. Cut & paste & pass it on.
At that blog there's a debate going on in the comments. Here's the skinny: one commenter argued that the Twitter action is equal to choosing sides in the conflict. Since neither Iranian candidate is all that palatable, and the public isn't well versed in the issues over there, should we really risk backing anyone? What if we're making things worse?

Here was my response:

I don't 'tweet', but I think it's a fine idea. Taking sides (and in a benign and harmless way) against a regime that is rigging elections and crushing dissent would seem to be the morally correct thing to do. Could it wind up being a "get rid of Batista and get a Castro"? Possibly. But if it happens it won't be because some American bloggers chose to adjust their Tweeter accounts.

I say go ahead and tweet, and give current regime in Tehran all the headaches they can handle.

5 comments:

Beth said...

That was my feeling about it, too. While it might not seem like a big deal, if it protects those who are trying to get info out of Iran, then I'm all for it. Sometimes tiny actions can add up to something big.

Bridgett said...

I don't 'tweet' either, but I say go for it!

Slapinions said...

From Facebook:

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea. This seems to be a grand opportunity to cause some headaches from the grassroots level for one of our enemies bent on destroying us. Way cool!

Dirk

Joann said...

OK, I tweet, I'll do it!! But if some Iranian General comes knocking at my door, I'm sending him to YOUR house!!!

jeanne said...

I don't 'tweet' either, but I say go for it!