google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On newsprint, North Korea, and LSU

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2009

On newsprint, North Korea, and LSU

So far two people online and one in the 'real' world have told me Brett Favre's officially a Viking, but I've seen butkus on any legit news site. So for the time being, I withhold judgement.

* * * *

Congrats to LSU on your College World Series victory. That's aways from being heartfelt, since I was hoping for a Texas win, but I'll say this: LSU's Jared Mitchell, the White Sox first round draft pick, looks like the real deal. He is a bit rough around the edges tho'.

* * * * *

I just got done writing a column for the Journal. About a month ago they asked if the 'regular' contributors could back off a bit to allow some of the other writers a chance. Okey-dokey.

Then a week ago a new email went out from the editor. That idea hadn't gone so well and there was now a shortage of material. They were also asking for someone to pick up a column for the 4th of July. I pitched an idea, but the request had come in while I was at work and I was late in answering. Here was the editor's response:

Hi Dan, I’ve picked another column to run on July 3, but I like this angle you suggest (tying in Iran demonstrations) and would like to publish yours on the same week (probably Thurs. July 2).

Could you write this up and get it to me by that same deadline so that I could have it edited and ready to go . . . If that’s a problem, please let me know. Thanks.

I'm not complaining, because Lord knows I feel blessed each and every time they put my name in the paper, but this one was hard to write. The deadline was today, the 25th, which meant a seven day lag between the day it was written and publication. That's fine, except I was supposed to be writing about the protests in Iran. I assume by the 2nd the government will do a fine and bloody job on suppressing the protesters there - but what if I was wrong?

In the end I decided I was over thinking it and plunged ahead. Ergh, we'll see how it reads in newsprint.

* * * *

Today marks the 59th anniversary of the North Korean invasion of the South. It strikes me as an ominous thing to remember as the North again ratchets up the "my d*ck is bigger than yours" rhetoric by threatening war, but that's a matter for another day.

Today, I wish to extend a sincere thank you to any and all veterans of that conflict.

4 comments:

jeanne said...

I heard on Fox 6 that it was a deal, so I may have heard it incorrectly, regarding Favre.

I think its great about the news column for the Journal, the suggestions (Iran demonstration) would be hard to write about so far in advance, but I know the column will be great. It must be neat to get an email requesting your writting, don't pop any buttons now. :)

Beth said...

Thanks for saying that about Korean War vets. My Uncle Buck spent about 3 years as a POW in that war, and he was one tough mf-er because of it, believe me. He was a good man who went through a lot in his life. RIP, Uncle Buck.

Ken Riches said...

Glad you got another article coming. Exposure is never a bad thing.

Cannot say I follow college baseball much, but did catch a few innings last time I got my hairs cut (Big League; reasonable price and TV's at every station, gotta love it).

Bridgett said...

So happy for you regarding the column! Post a link when it's released, pretty please. :D

XOXO