google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Michael Jackson

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, is dead at 50.

This is old news to you by now. And in truth it doesn't make much of an impact on my life, since I was never a big fan. I have Thriller and even a copy of HIStory, but that's about the extent of things. But there's certain events you're obliged to record, and this is one of them. Ed McMahon dies, eh, it's sad but life goes on. Elvis dies, Michael Jackson dies, Princess Diana dies, well you better remember what you were doing that day. Me, I was at work when Lisa texted my phone. "Is it true? Is Michael gone?" she wrote. I had no clue who or what she was talking about, and answered with a perturbed "?", but soon my sister called to break the news. My family's always been quick on the "Guess who just died!" calls. Would it have been 'better' for Jackson's place in history if he'd passed away ten or fifteen years ago, before he slipped completely off the deep end, and before the sex abuse trial? We'll never know, but I imagine he'll always reign as the King of '80's pop, controversy's be damned. Lisa and I have always wanted to see each member of the Trinity of Pop - Prince, Madonna, and Michael Jackson - in concert. Now, sadly, we'll have to settle for two out of three. RIP.

3 comments:

Bridgett said...

I'll be honest...I couldn't believe it when I heard Michael had died yesterday. I figured it was just another goofy story going for the dramatics. I figured he was in the hospital because his nose had finally collapsed or something. [that's terrible of me to say, I know, but truly, have you SEEN that nose?]

When it was confirmed he had died, I saw my childhood swim before my eyes.

Honestly though, seeing him these days always made me sad. He just looked...plastic. Like a mannequin or something. Yet he was a good-looking guy when he made the Thriller album. And add to that all these stories of disgrace which I couldn't help but believe based on his crazy behavior.

It's just sad.

But I have to say, I do like that 'Trinity of Pop' expression.

I've never been a huge Prince fan, but I adore Madonna. Always have.

RIP Michael.

lisa said...

I loved the man when he was black and when Thriller came out. Then he got weird....but his music has always been relevant.

Estela said...

His music has been playing a lot on the radio locally. The kids are "discovering" a lot of his older music because of this. I was traveling home from Birmingham when I first heard the news (Kendra had an appt with surgeon). I was honestly surprised. I am curious what tales will come out now that he is dead.