google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Aaron Rodgers 1, Critics 0

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Aaron Rodgers 1, Critics 0

Tonight I hosted the D. family for dinner and the Monday Night Football season opener. Naturally the matchup was Pack-Vikings up in Green Bay. Great game. A sloppy contest, and one where I question the conservative play calling of the Pack, but a great game none-the-less.

Aaron Rodgers had so much to lose tonight. Lots of fools, er, 'people', were just itching for him to screw up so they could mourn Favre and curse the Packers GM. Heck, you know Favre was sitting at home hoping for a Pack loss too, although I'd hope he harbored no ill will for Rodgers. 

Instead Aaron gave them all a solid, no-nonsense game. 18 for 22, 178 yards passing with 1 TD and no interceptions, and 35 yards and a TD rushing. [There was also a great passing TD that was called back on a penalty and does not show in the stats]

The kid can play, and he is cool and calm under pressure. There was a great downfield pass that should be on Sportscenter rotation tomorrow, and after his rushing TD he attempted the Lambeau Leap (pictured above). The sincere affection the crowd showed him was heartwarming.

Is he Steve Young to Farve's Montana? Waaay to early to say, but I'm happy for the guy and proud of his proverbial day in the sun.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great to hear. We didn't watch the game tonight, but I'm glad it's working out well for this guy. That had to be hell, being sort of caught in the middle, following a legend like Favre...I'm really glad he did well!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Was a great game and I agree with Beth, caught in the middle

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

:)

now...if only Favre had lost it for the Jets my week would've been okay.  But that, on top of the Colts loss....ugh, bad week for me.

Chris had Peyton for QB this week too....he was really mad that he didn't pick McNabb.

Here's to next week!

Anonymous said...

I was cheering for him as well.  I'm really glad he played a solid game.  Tough position to be in.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Look at all those happy faces!  Change is a scary thing.   I'm a Lions fan, I'll let you know if I ever get lucky enough to get scared about a new quarterback, or GM!
                                                                                     :)   Leigh

Anonymous said...

Packers have a defense now, they might do well if this new QB is for real. I was surprised Favre did so well but it's just one game fo reach too.