google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: KayKay's Volleyball Games

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

KayKay's Volleyball Games

[Irrelevant aside: today was Smiley's 1st ever school picture day. I'll post the pics when I get them.]

In the two weeks she stayed with us we attended both of my niece's volleyball games.  The first week her team lost all three sets to my kids' school (booyah!) but they took 2 of 3 sets the following week versus another team.

(if you haven't been to a volleyball game in a bit, you now play up to 25 and earn points on every volley, whether your team served the ball or not. A similar rule seems to be in effect in professional beach volleyball.)

Both weeks Lisa and I were ticked off at the coach. Her team was horribly handled. A girl twice fouled by serving over the line, they rotated incorrectly, it just went on and on. I don't know much about the sport and I think I could have done a manageable job of correcting the errors.

On top of that the coach's kid is the captain, naturally, and my niece was forced to sit the second set of both games. This, despite the fact she was one of the best players. I'm not speaking (soley) out of bias here. There were girls who couldn't serve, and one in particular who couldn't/didn't get a ball over the net in any capacity either week.

[After one revolting play I turned to Lisa and said with disgust.  "They're never going to win if they keep that girl in. She may wear #7, but she's no Mickey Mantle." This earned me a (deserved) elbow to the ribs. The girls Mother was two rows in front of me, and the girl was a good friend of my niece and had even been to parties at their house when I was in attendence. Oops. My bad.]

In one set my niece was the only member of her team to score a string of points, but was still pulled in favor of one of the yahoos.

"KayKay!," I yelled in between one set and motioned her over. "You want me to say something to her. 'Cuz I will."

"No!," she said, mortified. "Then she'll never play me."

Nice. Classy coach.

Anyhow, here's some pictures of her games.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the coach was so unfair to your niece, but there are definitely coaches like that. It's not right.

Beth

Anonymous said...

KayKay looks sad when she is on the side lines...

New rules....interesting

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Rotten coach.  You should have kicked her a** anyway.  I hate when people in athority over our kids treat them unfairly.  Great photo's as usual.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Good coaches know how to balance the desire to win, with the need to allow all to participate.  Sounds like she is a horrible coach.