google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Last Day at my Childhood Home

Search This Blog

Monday, September 15, 2008

The Last Day at my Childhood Home

When I last talked about my parent's home I mentioned plans to have a last dinner together there with the family. If nothing else it was a very touching thought, as was my obsessive desire to have a final game of catch there with my Dad. Neither one took place.

As the 31st arrived I issued repeated but polite warnings that the move would be difficult. The family had been in the house for 50+ years and the last time my parents had moved was 30 years ago; my sister K had never moved. In contrast I'd moved four times in my first three years on my own, and another two times since then.

"We helped you move," they'd say to refute their lack of experience.As I'm sure you know, that's like saying you know what it's like to have kids because you used to babysit. 'tis not the same thing at all.

Come the 31st both my Dad and I had to work until 2pm, leading to a late start on the day. It was not until 3 that my Dad returned with a rented truck and the fun began.

Lisa loaded up our van repeatedly and took my sister C's items to her apartment, while my nephew and I unloaded an entire truck of furniture to my parent's new place after my Dad showed signs of fatigue. In the process I tore my shorts from belt to hem and was forced to ask passerby's for a safety pin. Finding help lacking, I tied an electrical cord around my leg to hold the garment together - at least until I felt the circulation stop ;)

By evening we were well behind schedule and more and more items appeared from corners unseen for years. This final truckload, compiled mainly of my sister K's items, was destined for storage. It was a decision I argued against (in my mind, paid storage is for the rich or the fool, and no one in between. It seems a worthless sap of resources best spent in the present)

My sister K quit on us early, saying an old injury was acting up. Instead she spent the night directing our efforts. Several times I good naturedly ribbed her about it, because I think the work just overwhelmed her, but to both our credit it did stay good natured, against our traditional yin and yang relationship.

On the other hand my meek and conciliatory sister C went off on me in a foul mouthed tirade. It was worth it for the entertainment value, like seeing a shy person sing karaoke when they're drunk. Priceless.

By ten o'clock I felt it was time to get my Mom moved to the new apartment and so began planning our exit. My sister C asked if I thought they could get more time from the new owners to finish the job. I shook my head. "This place is ours for two more hours only," I said. "When that clock strikes midnight, it's over."

Near the end my Dad pulled me aside and told me to take whatever tools I wanted. These were items handed down from my Great-Grandfather's on both sides. My Dad had hung onto them zealously, and I find it hard to put into words the emotions that ran through me when he made that offer. It was  . . well, it felt like the most sincere 'Love you' I'd heard from him in a long time.

[not that we don't have a good relationship, but most days the man talks less than Smiley]

When I was in the attic a wave of nostaligia took over me. I remembered cleaning the attic with my Dad one night, the radio barking out the play by play of a Big Mac at-bat at the All-Star game. I looked around and realized the new owners had had the roof redone; the wood I was looking at would no doubt stick around for decades to come.

So I left my mark behind.

I began to take my Mother out of the house. "Say goodbye to the house Mom," I said.

"Goodbye house," she said, and I cracked up.

"What?" she said smiling.

"Nothing, nothing. I just didn't expect you to be so literal," I said.

I got her in my van and went back for something or another. My last sight of the house (in our family's possesion) was of a brightly lit downstairs and my Dad sitting on the concrete steps outside.

And then I got in my van and drove away.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a bittersweet day. I know that even after almost 30 years, I still crane my neck to look at the house where I grew up, when we're driving by on the highway. You'll never forget the memories that were made there, even if you never step foot in the house again.

Beth

Anonymous said...

It is such a hard wrench when you have to leave the family home Dan. I thankfully have only moved twice in my lifetime but the first was sure hard. Mum and Dad had been there all their married life and had brought my 2 sisters and I up there , I was actually born in the same room I slept in all of my life there. When Mum and I moved down here to Bath it was awful. Mum was to poorly to do much and my friend and I had to pack everything etc.....I vowed never again...I did though 10 years later to here in Box....NEVER AGAIN.....Love from sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

It was a bitter sweet day, and I think you were great doing what you have done....

Change is hard....When I made my first move I was 16 or so, and I still would go back to the old home, until one day it was removed (torn down is kind of hard lol)...I then took my sister to review the spot just in case I got the address wrong, and researched the web, the old house was gone, but I don't know why..

I'm sure you will go back and look at the house to see how it is doing, and life goes on, but the time spent there will not be forgotten..

It was a sad blog to read, but all will be ok...

Love Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Next move--gasoline and a match. Well, that's cold comfort.

I remember after we moved my dad into an apartment, I dreamed of staying overnight in the old house. In the dream a stranger came up the stairs as I was going from bedroom to bathroom. "What are you doing here?" I asked and then realized that *I* was the one out of place.

;^) Jan the Gryphon
http://journals.aol.com/gryphondear/Gryphondear's-Word-of-the-Day/

Anonymous said...

You're so good at conveying the emotion in your writing.  Just had to note that.

When we helped clean out my grandmothers house it was like going through history books...and I know exactly what you mean about the tools.  My grandmother gave my brother his choice of my grandpa and dad's tools (and their hats that had hung in the entryway since the days they passed on) ....he values those tools more than anything.  I'm glad that you had that *moment* with your dad.

Cherish the memories.
...and have a good one~
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Great story.  Thank you.   DB

Anonymous said...

A time of mixed emotions.  Glad it was not a long, drawn out, ordeal.

Anonymous said...

I felt your pain Dan.  It has been evident from the start, that you were not open to losing this place.  I wish you could have somehow kept it for yourself.  You obviously have a lot of yourself tied up in that home.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Oh man I understand. My folks moved a couple of years ago after 29 yrs. I went in alone one day & just went in every room thinking of memories, thanking the house spirit! I knew it was going to redone...they pulled the brick off the house, made it into a huge 2 story, just incredibly different. If I can get pix from my dad I'll email them to ya! My folks didn't seem to have the sadness either I had. You'd think they would remember more memories but...