google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The important event of September 26th, 2008

Search This Blog

Friday, September 26, 2008

The important event of September 26th, 2008

Tonight, in front of a live national audience, two opponents face off. They've been chipping away at one another from a distance throughout the summer, and now its time for a final blow. At stake for the winner is a position of power and significance. For the loser, a bleak and somber autumn.

No, not the debates. Pfftt. My choice is clear, and even if it weren't I distrust the scripted rhetoric of these stiff debates, where the prettiest one liner brings 'victory'.

No, I'm speaking of something far more important: Brewers-Cubs to decide the NL wildcard.

It's been a heck of a week. The other day I watched the Brew Crew scrape and claw their way to victory versus Pittsburgh, capped off by a blast from Prince Fielder. Yesterday I missed the game (d'oh!) but swoon at tales of Ryan Braun's 10th inning, walk-off grand slam.

Keep hope alive people, keep hope alive!

We enter the final weekend series against the Cubs tied with the Mets for the wildcard spot. As normal for a Cubs series my business was overflowing with wretched Chicago fans all afternoon.

I spotted a familiar pair around two o'clock.

"Hey," I hollered to an employee helping them, "Don't you dare give these people our best [product]. Lousy Cub fans. Sell  them something you'd be ashamed to give your Mom."

"Not so fast there, " the husband said. " I bet you were doing plenty of  rooting for the Cubs when we faced New York."

"Sure I did," I said. "And thanks a lot for playing your B-team all week.I appreciate you handing the split to the Mets."

"You're welcome," he said and laughed.

"How much you want to bet you won't be resting your guys against us? I don't think I'll see Aramis and Lee on the bench do you? No chance of Lou skipping Dempster eh?"

 I'll say this for Cubs fans. By and large their female fans are hot, although their souls are obviously corrupted. Not that that's bad in a girlfriend, but still . .

Every time I write about the Brewers they promptly mail in a loss (or seven) but I'm hoping I break that streak right here. We need the postseason. We deserve the postseason (debatable, but roll with me). We will have the post-season!

And then we'll all wind up watching the Angels-Dodgers World Series.

Let the games begin! 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'll say this for Cubs fans. By and large their female fans are hot, although their souls are obviously corrupted. Not that that's bad in a girlfriend, but still . . "

Why, thank you, Dan! That is a lovely compliment! ;)

Beth
http://journals.aol.com/luvrte66/nutwoodjunction/


Anonymous said...

I'm still hoping the Phillies hang on. What if we get a 3 way tie?
The Phillies don't want to spend the money for pitching, and their hitting has slumped a bit from last year, thank goodness for an unexpectedly strong bullpen. Mets bullpen collapsed or they would be 10 games ahead. Pitching is usually big in the playoffs. Dodgers and Cubs look strong. If the Phillies can't win I want the Dodgers, I Torre and want to see Steinbrenner blow a gasket.
Charlie

Anonymous said...

I hope the weekend series is good, not sure if I want the Brewers to make it or not - it could cause a J-Land rift <LOL>

Anonymous said...

Boy you got me there on the first line, LOL

I hope the Brewers make it, would love to have the world series.  We do deserve it

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Yaay Phillies - NL East Div winners second year in a row - now if we could just get some starting pitching.

Anonymous said...

I got a good chuckle out of this.  I'm actually a big Yankee Fan, but I am truly a baseball fan.  In 98 we wen't cross country and visited 9 parks.  It was awesome.

Wrigley Field was the most amazing place I have ever been.  It was 104 that day and they were walking up and down the stands with pumps of water spraying us.  When we got out we were stuck in the city for two hours because the city had gone into a black out.  I would do it all over again to back there.  It was just such a "baseball" place.

~Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Hey wait a tic-the Cubs had a AAA lineup out there Saturday.  What happened?  And now no Zambrano Sunday...

The Cubs want LA in the first round.  They've been trying to make sure that happens.  The Brewers aren't helping.