google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On bikes and hospitals and sassy little kids

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 20, 2008

On bikes and hospitals and sassy little kids

Today was the first day in quite awhile I've been on my bike. It was out of action for a few days because of heavy rain and when I brought it back out of the Wacky Shack I found I'd ruined the back tire by running over some glass. Cue a  stay at the bike shop, where as Dork among Dorks I also bought a nifty collapsible basket :)

Anyway, I had a nice 20 minute ride with YaYa. We even stopped and shagged balls at a local baseball practice along the way. The bike shop adjusted my seat so high I no longer have to wonder what a colonostomy feels like, but it was a godsend to finally get some exercise into my schedule.

You see, yesterday night my Mom was taken by ambulance to the hospital, where she was admitted with blood pressure of 180 over ?, a 102 degree temp, and badly swollen legs that were leaking water.

I love the woman dearly, but if you don't decide to just get up and move God's gonna make your decision permanent. Her hospitalization, which may turn into yet another stay at an extended care facility,was another little 'push' to keep up my diet and exercise plan.

That plan has only been 40% on schedule the last week or so, thanks to that Olive Garden trip. I can safely ignore temptation, so long as I'm not given a taste.  No 'one drag of a cigarette' or 'just a slice of pizza' or 'only an hour with the transvestite' - no, for me that way leads to the Dark Side.

So for the foreseeable future it's ixnay on the Italian food, that's for sure.

* * * *

Quote of the Day, and coincidentally on the subject:

Completely in jest as we horsed around outside.

Me: You be quiet you Punky Brewster or I'll break ya in two!

LuLu (laughing): No you won't! I have bones!

Me: I can do it. I'm strong!

LuLu: [snickered] How? You barely even work out!


Tags:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back out on the bike it can only do you good Dan...my niece Beth got home last Sunday after sompleting her cycle ride from PAris to London..she was extatic at having completed it in one piece...not bad she said at 46 !!!
Sorry to read about your Mom hope the blood pressure comes down soon. Not good to be so high.  Love Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Mom, please keep us posted as to how well she is doing...

The bike riding is great, I'm thinking of getting on for my birthday, and taking the grandkids for rides on the bike trails....love walking them...

later,

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

My sympathy on your dealings with your mother. Hope she is feeling better now, & I'll put in an extra prayer for her this a.m.

Go! Lulu, you rock, honey. Don't ever let up on the wise-cracks. I used to zing my dad similar lines. I wish he were still around to roll his eyes in dismay.

;^) Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother.  My X MIL was like that and I am worried about myself as well.  I have lost 15 lbs. (slowly and painfully, I might add) but I don't get around well, hence the exercise is limited to my leg exercises (due to knee replacements) lying in bed.  Between the lack of exercise, my age and the weight loss I will be a saggy thing.  lol.  You keep up the work.  In the end you will be so proud of yourself.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I hope your mom will be okay....

LOL on the "only an hour with the transvestite...."

Great conversation with LuLu! That one kind of backfired on you, didn't it? ;)

Beth

Anonymous said...

Out of the mouths of babes :o)

Congrats on the basket <LOL>.