google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On Swingsets, trees, NKOTB, and Lump's 1st and hopefully last car accident

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 28, 2008

On Swingsets, trees, NKOTB, and Lump's 1st and hopefully last car accident

Today wasn't as busy or productive as Saturday. Lisa had switched hours and worked 1st shift, forcing me to take Smiley and YaYa into work with me while I did some morning paperwork in lieu of the manager that quit.

Smiley insisted on wearing his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles slippers.

Then we dropped YaYa off at her religious ed classes - yes, she attends Catholic school, but they farm them out to their home parishes for First Communion classes. That's a lame requirement, but I'm proud of her, especially since she seems to know much more than the other kids in the Sunday School class (duh - they don't take religion class daily).

Smiley and I then returned to work for an hour, then picked her up and attended mass. At heart I'm a very religious person, and very happily Catholic, and it does my soul good to devote a Sunday morning to the church. It makes me feel closer to God, and not in a Nine Inch Nails way.

I picked up lunch then settled the kids in for a nap while I flipped between the Brewers and the Packers. You know how both those stories turned out.

* * * *

I was set to go on a bike ride when my mother-in-law called to say that she and Lump had been involved in an auto accident. No one was hurt, thank God. I drove out to the scene and picked up my baby.  My mother-in-law's car had been hit pretty hard by a teenage leaving Starbucks, that den of overpriced dirt water.

I'm kind of glad it happened the way it did, as far as Lump goes. One of my mild superstitions involves getting a 'first accident' out of the way with as little harm as possible. YaYa was on a school bus that hit a van on the freeway, LuLu was in our van when it was totaled in '06, and now Lump got hers out of the way. Smiley's is still out there . . ah, no! Come to think of it when I was moving my folks I backed our van into a stone wall attempting a Y-turn in a narrow dead-end. Smiley was in the car, and that counts, right?

Upon our return I hit the bike with the kids and wound up at the park where the kids played for about twenty minutes.

When Lisa got home and the Brewers clinched the Wildcard I took the family out to Ponderosa to celebrate (hey, I'm a big guy. How was I supposed to celebrate, with jazzercize and celery?).

Before we went we picked up LuLu from yet another park, where my Dad had taken her to play with her cousin. Here YaYa chose to climb some trees while Lisa hit the swingset herself.

* * * 

After dinner, with the kids in bed, we watched a great VHI special the New Kids on the Block. A lot of rare footage coupled with some genuine insights. Most shocking:  Jon never 'left' the band, as has been reported for over a decade. (Hell, I remember Joe moaning about Jon's 'betrayal' in a VHI piece years ago.)

Nope, turns out he was doing so much whining and 'maybe I should go/maybe I should stay' that the guys got sick of it and put it up for a vote. By a count of 3-2 he was asked/told to leave the group. Huh.

The special was followed by a kick-ass three song set live from a concert in Boston. What a great taste of the concert we'll see next Saturday in Chicago. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good day--glad no one was hurt in the accident!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures in the park, and its good to spend time in church, its good for the soul.....

I am real, real glad no one was hurt in the accident,

Love Smileys slippers....

Have a great Monday..
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Great photo's at the park.  I'm so glad Lump and you mil are OK.  Have a good week.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Well if that wasn't a busy day I wouldn't like o be you when you do have a busier one !!  What a lovely set of smiley photo's to start of my week. The bairns sem to be having such fun.  I bet your heart missed a beat when you heard MIL saying about the accident. Thankfully all was well. I had a quiet day yesterday after chuch to my sisters for a delicious lunch...as alwasy on a Sunday...and then home to sit out in the  WARM SUNSHINE  I can hardly believe that we have had almost a whole week without rain...seems though today is the last on for a while again... Never mind next Monday Mary and I will be off on our long awaited holiday to South Africa.   Love  Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

Dan, your kids have the most amazing smiles.  
                                                                        :)  Leigh

Anonymous said...

I agree with that superstition, followed-up by the "first accident while driving."

My son's was a doozy: driving a 1980 Dodge Aries K-car with front wheel drive at 30 MPH, blew the left-hand front tire, missed brake for accelerator, crossed the oncoming lane, over the curb, between two trees, clipped the righthand mirror on the clothesline pole, into a chainlink fence, stopping approx. 1" from the top cross bar. He was by himself and was not hurt, thank You, Jesus. The car was repaired so well that we drove it for another 3 years and after another 3 almost bought it back.

;^) Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a fun time at the park, and a good celebration.  Hard to believe you have less than a week to your concert.