google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The end of CD's?

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2008

The end of CD's?

Let's start out by asking my readers to say 'thank you' to Beth over at Nutwood Junction. She and I disagree over the upcoming election and I've spent many an enjoyable hour commenting on her posts. Why offer thanks? Simple. Commenting over there has sated (sp?) much of my urge to write about politics on Slapinions, thereby sparing you, dear reader, from trudging through those posts :)

* * *

I was a late convert to CD's, making the transition in 1993. Even now, 15 years later, I dislike the silver frisbees. They scratch, they melt, they crack in two. If you have one kid, much less four, you might as well forget about having any in usable condition. MP3's? I like them, but if I'm going to buy an album I'd like something more concrete in my hands than zeros and ones.

So I was pleased to hear that the music industry is introducing a new format to replace (?) CD's. It's called Slot Music. Developed by Sandisk, it's a micro SD card smaller than your fingernail. It will hold an album's worth of songs, liner notes, and cover art with room to spare.

Of course micro SD cards are nothing new; I have one in my MP3 player to boost the device's memory. The 'smaller than a fingernail' bit alarms me, as I imagine I'd lose an album the day I bought it, but each Slot Music will come with its own USB device and should be usable in many cellphones, MP3 players, computers, and eventually car stereos.

By Christmas Walmart and Best Buy will be stocking albums in this format.

Personally, I'd prefer something like a hard, slim shell (roughly the size of a business cared holder) that opens while in the player to expose the tracks without risking damage to the music.

As for SlotMusic, let's throw it open for debate. Do you think this format will catch on?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it will catch on with all the technophiles... and I will be left in the dust. Estela

Anonymous said...

Alas, I have nothing to play "slots" on, so I hope the CD does not disappear :o)

Beth certainly has an opinion, as do you.  Glad you have enjoyed some minor sparring:o)

Anonymous said...

"Let's start out by asking my readers to say 'thank you' to Beth over at Nutwood Junction. She and I disagree over the upcoming election and I've spent many an enjoyable hour commenting on her posts. Why offer thanks? Simple. Commenting over there has sated (sp?) much of my urge to write about politics on Slapinions, thereby sparing you, dear reader, from trudging through those posts :) "

Dan, thanks for the chuckle! I'm grinning....

So...does this mean I can vent over here? Perhaps I can give MY readers a break! <grin> Nah, I won't do that to you.

I haven't heard of the Slot Music format. I'm with you...I'd end up losing something that small. I'd be hesitant to invest in this format. Weren't Betamax tapes smaller than VHS tapes? (Anyone under the age of 25 is probably going "Betamax? What's that?")

All my best,
Beth
http://journals.aol.com/luvrte66/nutwoodjunction/

Anonymous said...

Beta video tapes were smaller than the normal size VHS tapes and they didn't do too well.... I sure hope this doesn't catch on.... I'll lose them all the time, I already know.

Joann

Anonymous said...

I think I am still living in the dark ages and if these new kind of music systems come into fruition I will just again bury my head !! Although I think I said that when these new things called CD's came on the market..certainly if it is as small as a fingernail I would loose it before I had even seen it !! If you have been reading Beth's "comments" I think you will know where my vote would go !! LOL Love  sybil xx

Anonymous said...

I remember a brouhaha in Dear Abby a few years back because a man left a disk of information to one of his grandchildren to be "opened and read" on the child's 21st birthday. The child's mother immediately printed out the disk and put the hardcopy (paper) in an envelope in her safety deposit at the bank. Other relatives were incensed at the "effrontery" of the mother. The disk belonged to the child: it was a bequest, it was private and should be accorded the sort of reverence that attends a confessional. Dear Abby, however, sided with the mother. "When the child turns 21, who know whether a reader for the disk will be available." When was the last time you saw a 5 1/4" floppy?

;^) Jan the Gryphon