google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Just a little housekeeping

Search This Blog

Friday, September 12, 2008

Just a little housekeeping

First to baseball. The Brewers have just flat-out sucked this month. By my unofficial count they've won all of *two* games in September and now lead the Wild Card standings by only three games over Philly. Worse yet, we're in the midst of a Phillies series now. They better pull their heads out of their [redacted] and get to winnin'.

Second, Angel pitcher Fransisco Rodriguez (I refuse to call him K-Rod) tied the single season saves record last night. Congrats to him, but if I'm honest I have to say it's one of the most overrated 'records' in baseball. Granted, I'm influenced by sabermetric philosophy on this point, but I think saves themselves are more hype than actual value. There's something wrong with a stat that enables a pitcher to go out to the mound for a single inning with a two run lead, load the bases, bring in one run, load the bases again, and then finally get out of the inning and 'save' the game. Blah.

Since the stat is currently celebrated we should acknowledge the record and tip our hats, but I think in my grandchildren's time closers will be far diminished in perceived value.

* * *

Something that irks me: when an employee's mother or wife or boyfriend calls on their behalf to report in sick, question their timecard, etc. I don't have teenagers working for me. There's no reason any employee should fail to speak for themselves if physically able.

* * * *

You'll note that on the sidebar I've placed a McCain logo (cue the boos) and have also chosen to display a graphic from Election Projection regarding the electoral college count. It automatically updates every few days to stay current and I think it'll prove a popular item.

I've linked to EP and a similar site (Current Electoral Vote Predictor) from this page's 'favorites' since 2004. Truthfully, I like the layout and ease of use of  CEVP better and have enjoyed frequenting it since 2000. But while they've always leaned prominently to the left, this time around they've chosen to completely dump impartiality and spew some heavy negative vibes towards anything GOP. Since EP leans right but tries to play it down the middle I chose to go with them (and frankly, never even looked for a similar widget on CEVP).

Have a good day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to boo you (BOOya!), Dan. Everyone needs to make their own decision. The ones I WOULD boo are those who say they just aren't going to vote!

I agree with you when it comes to people calling in sick. I never had anyone call in sick for me, and it seems kind of...lame. Of course, there would be times that it would be appropriate...massive head injuries, that sort of thing. (Sorry, I have a morbid sense of humor sometimes.)

Beth

Anonymous said...

BTW, I might put up the vote map, too. I was looking at one earlier today, but it was too big. Thanks for sharing this one.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Beth - you'll have to modify the 'width' in the html code that's provided. I adjusted it to 125 to create the current size.

Dan

Anonymous said...

No Boo's from me.  McCain/Palin is how I'm voting.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the electoral map.

I noticed no mention of the Cubs in your baseball discussion :o)