google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: REVIEW: New Kids on the Block - The Block

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 4, 2008

REVIEW: New Kids on the Block - The Block

On Tuesday September 2nd, at 8 a.m. on the dot, I entered our local Target and picked up not one but two copies of the extended version of the newly released New Kids on the Block album The Block.  One copy for our listening pleasure, another never-to-be-opened CD for our NKOTB collection. I also picked up an extended version of their greatest hits album.

'Twas a grand day.

I like the album. Yeah, sure, I'd say that no matter what. But I really do. I like some songs more than others, and some much more than others, but I like the album as a whole. By and large it's smooth R&B but has a definite nostaligic vibe that hides in the shadow of  very contemporary arrangements. Definitely a hightened sexual openess in the lyrics, but they're all in their 30's - I reckon it shouldn't come as a shock that they're not virgins.

What's that? You want a track by track breakdown of my opinion? Are you sure? I don't know . .well, if you insist. The bold titles indicate a song worthy of extra attention.

1. Click, Click, Click -  best known to me as the background music of the NKOTB website. A relaxed Timberlake-ish track

2. Single (featuring Ne-Yo) - solid enough, but NKOTB is largely in the background on this one. A good song but not a favorite of mine, despite being their next release.

3. Big Girl Now - a dance track featuring Lady Gaga. Some funky parts that catch your attention. From this point on the CD picks up quickly.

4. Summertime - their first release and their first Top 40 hit in over a decade. A great nostaligic song and a wise re-introduction to the group.

5. 2 in the Morning - a catchy chorus and a pleasant tune, but nothing grand.

6. Grown Man  - featuring the Pussycat Dolls and Teddy Riley. A great song that begins with a retro/Ray Charles feel and cruises through the rest of the song with a funky, fun, and nasty attitude.

Do you like my body?

Girl you know I do.

Do you think that I'm a hottie?

Girl you know I do.

 Do you want to go and party?

Girl you know I do.

Well whatchu want to do?

Here's what I want to do: I'm gonna give you some grown man. I'm gonna give you some grown man.

7. Dirty Dancing  - not as fun as track six but a blast. A vaguely Shaggy-feel to the song. "Ooh, you're so crazy. She's like, baby, I'm like Swayze." Love it! "I ain't looking for no drama/ I don't want no karma/ cause my baby's sleeping in bed back at home/ but you know I'd be lying if I said I ain't trying/ to get the shorty with me all alone."

 8. Sexify My Love - the chorus is pretty good  with a bit of a late '80's feel to it. Not hard on the ears, just not a great song.

9. Twisted - it has some fun beats, but at its heart its a standard issue dance club tune. A waste of space. Yawn.  

10. Full Service - another great song! a full out collaboration with New Edition, who NKOTB has always paid homage to over the years. Fun and funky with a steady beat that'll get you moving. Great to hear New Edition back in action!

11. Lights, Camera, Action - a song about photographing yourself in a sex act. Yawn. Been there done that - why listen to a song about it? Seriously though, just not a very good song IMHO.

12. Put it on My Tab - a slow R&B tune. It's fine and I'm sure beloved by many people, but relaxed R&B has never appealed to me and this is no exception.

13. Stare at You - a romantic ballad featuring all the guys. It reminds me of Joe/Jordan solo work. BONUS: at the tail end of the song Donnie speaks with his young son. Very cute and a reminder of how these guys have grown up over the years.

I can just stare at you forever (Oh, baby)
I can be here with you doing whatever (My lady)
It's not the way you look that brings me to my knees,
It's the way you look at me
I could just stare at you forever
If forever you were staring at me

That concludes the 'standard' edition of the album. I purchased the extended 'deluxe' versions with four extra songs.

1. One Song - an inoffensive but largely forgettable dance track. I can see why it wasn't included on the standard CD.

2. Don't Cry - a GREAT song! In Lisa's words 'this is what can happen when Joe and Jordan work together." Amen my love. Great song, great music, great voices, great sentiment.

I learned not to diss my words and fight over little things
Like when I used to wait all night,
Just to say I'm sorry, I love you
Oh, tell me what would there be left to say? Nothing
Oh, what if God wants to take me away?
Oh, you better...

Kiss me like it's the last time,
Love me like it's the first time
I'll kiss you like it's the last time
And I'll love you like it's the first time
I'll be trippin', can't wait for the next time
But if there isn't a next time...

Baby, just don't cry...

3. Officially Over - My FAVORITE song on the whole album! Just a great Joey-centric song about breaking up. Get me two notes into this one and I'm bopping around. A great bleeping song and a grand chorus to sing along with.

4. Looking Like Danger - the lyrics say 'it's hard to be faithful' but I find this song 'hard to describe'. A mix of a dance track, an '80's pop tune, and  a bit of a '80's soundtrack flair. I don't dislike it, but I can't say I like it either.

* * *

For pete's sake go and buy the thing. It's a heck of an album with six tracks that are guaranteed gems. What are you waiting for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...our tastes lean a little...harder, I guess. Nickelback, Shinedown, stuff like that. I can tell you love this, though--glad it made your day!

Wait...they aren't virgins? I'd like to know how many of those young men are married! Mercy me.

;) Beth

Anonymous said...

As I was dressing for work day before yesterday - I think - the Today Show announcer said that we must stay tuned as their Plaza entertainment was NKOTB!

I said to myself, "Whatever they're promoting, Dan's sure to blog about it." So I didn't feel the least bit guilty about changing to the Discovery Channel for my hubby before I left.

;^) Jan the Gryphon