google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Seven kids, four cats, a turtle . . .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Seven kids, four cats, a turtle . . .

When the house was sold my sister C had difficulty finding an apartment, only securing one with three or four days to spare. Unfortunately the landlord was in the midst of replacing the carpet, thinking the place would sit vacant another month, and couldn't get it ready in time. So on the day of the move her items went into the storage locker in that building, she went to crash at my Mom's new digs, and her three children came to stay with my family.

Through a series of delays and a variety of reasons they remained through this past Sunday the 14th. For fifteen days my household consisted of seven children, four cats (two of theirs), a turtle, three grasshoppers, a walking stick and a praying mantis.

Oh my.

Honestly, we adjusted very well. We quickly absorbed the kids and their routines into our daily life, and rather seamlessly too. Sure, we only Bernie Mac'd it for two plus weeks, but I think we could have pulled it off permanently if (God forbid!) we had to, and with aplomb to boot.

Every morning I'd roll out of the house at 7:10 with a full van, drop my nephew off at high school, swing by and drop my kids off at their school, head over to drop my nieces off at theirs, and then head over to work.

Lisa would pick up our kids after school and I'd pick up my nieces (my nephew took the bus back). Sometimes my niece would have volleyball practice and we'd head there, and on one occasion she had a school dance.

We'd have the kids sit down after school and complete their homework, then set to work on a decent dinner. Come nighttime my youngest niece would sleep on a foam couch in Lu's room, as would Lu herself, while niece KayKay grabbed her bed.

In Smiley's room the new twin bed we'd gotten him was now occupied by my nephew, while the toddler bed we were set to get rid of was put back into use for Smiley.

YaYa, being the prima donna she is, slept alone in her room.

They put a dent in my pocketbook as my grocery bill grew, but other than that it was fine. Oh YaYa went through a period of 'You love them better than me!" but that passed, and soon enough she was content with hanging out with her cousin.

Meanwhile Lu and KayKay bonded and Smiley became my nephews Number One fan. He should be; they are the only two males in the generation that includes not only our extended family but also our friend's children. X chromosomes appear to be in stark supply 'round here.

One great thing about having the kids here: it gave us a little wiggle room to 'go mobile'. Lisa's at work and I'm out of eggs? Egads! Oh, never mind. I'll have KayKay stay with the kids while I go. Lisa took my keys to work with her, stranding me? Pay no mind, I'll send J. on my bike to retrieve the keys!

{plus both of the older kids really like the New Kids new CD, with KayKay even using it for a class project. How cool is that?}

Following a long day we even took advantage of their presence to go visit the speciality drink bar I once wrote about here. It was met with their scorn mind you, as in my family letting a drop of alcohol pass your lips is just a notch below smoking crack in a synagogue, but whatever. They need to learn that responsible adult behavior is just that - adult, and responsible.

I was sad to see them go, I really was. Smiley seemed the most upset, but at his age he forgets quickly. 

At least now Lisa can't refuse to *ahem* becasue she's afraid they'll hear us ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a mental institution near you ?   I am sure I would have asked to be committed for a few days LOL   Good on you and Lisa..   Love Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sybil, mental institution anyone...LOL

seven kids, cats turtles and bugs oh my.....:)   Everyone will have great memorys about that time...

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I'm with Sybil, too! But then I'm the solitary type.

Sounds like an adventure, and I'm glad everything went fairly smoothly!

Beth

Anonymous said...

You and my brother should start that mental institution the other comments speak of....I'm always joking that I'm going to pad his walls one day.  He and my sister in law invite their 10 neices and nephews....and then my Pey...to their house for the SUMMER!  I think this summer may have been the last of that ;)
It IS nice when you have an older kid around that can give you a hand, especially with that many little ones.  Glad y'all got to enjoy some *responsible adult* time...I bet that kept a little sanity about you ;)  and I LMAO @ the smoking crack in a synagogue.  That's a good one.

have a good one~

Anonymous said...

Actually that sounded like so much fun.  Every family should do that every once in a while.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great experience with the added household members :o)