google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Ned Yost is Toast

Search This Blog

Monday, September 15, 2008

Ned Yost is Toast

After winning a lousy three games out of 14 midway through September and dragging a 5 1/2 game wildcard lead down to zero, the Brewers dismissed manager Ned Yost today. 

They appointed Dale Sveum as interim manager and I guess they also reassigned bench coach Ted Simmons. I disagree with that part of the deal and think Simmons should have got the nod.

It's an unusual move, firing a manager with twelve games left in the season while you're tied for a playoff spot. But while I've been a Yost-backer for years I have to say I agree with this decision. There's no excuse for their recent play, and small sample size be damned Yost has shown himself to be a manager that fails to 'close' the deal in the fall.

Am I alone in this viewpoint? Obviously not. At work this morning an employee was complaining about her husband's 'childish' reaction to the Brewers double-header loss yesterday. Her husband had boxed up his Brewers memorabilia and threatened to burn it in his backyard.

That's a little extreme, but I defended him. I'm sick and tired of the Brewers and this year in-year out pattern of F*ing with their fan's emotions. We are not Chicago or Boston. With all due respect to those fans I don't think this city can stomach celebrating a century of failure..

And people wonder why I like the Yankees. When they have one season, one season, where they don't play in October their fans act like the sky is falling. Good. It shows they care about winning.

Meanwhile, we have the sausage races.

Win the wildcard and visit the postseason, or for all I care they can pack up and go fill the void in Montreal. We'll still see baseball at Miler Park whenever weather screws up the schedule (a tip of the hat to Zambrano on the no-hitter against Houston here yesterday).

Bleeping Brewers.

* * *

BTW, congrats to my favorite player, Alex Rodriguez, for crossing the 100 RBI mark for yet another season. In 128 games, including some hindered by injury,  he's hit .307/34/100. Yikes, the guy can swing a bat.


Tags:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I hadn't heard about this. but then I've got CNN on. I don't know what to tell you about being a Cubs fan...for some reason, hope springs eternal. Maybe we're masochists, I don't know. We DO care about winning, but it just doesn't happen that often...it probably doesn't make a lot of sense! It was pretty cool to see that Zambrano got a no-hitter, though!

I LOVE the sausage races, by the way.

Beth
http://journals.aol.com/luvrte66/nutwoodjunction/

Anonymous said...

I'm not a blue true fan, but I do monitor the game and I think Ned Yost should go...We have been too close to winning and then blow it in the fall.....

But it might be too soon too late for anything to happen now....

Go Brewers

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting the Cubbies as they beat up on the Astros.  At least you did not have to suffer by having them be the "home" team :o)